Sunday, May 13, 2007

My Story

My name is Henry. Henry Shepard. I'm going to tell you a little story. It might be sad for some of you but for the others well not sad. This is how my story goes. One day my kids and I were sitting down by a fire. My children's names were John and Laura. Suddenly John just asked something I really did not want to tell John and Laura. John asked me about my parents. What should I have done? My parents had passed away. I told John and Laura I couldn't tell them about that.They kept on pleading. I finally said OK.

I started, "My parents and I lived in a log cabin about forty-five years ago. We lived together as a happy family. Now I'm going to tell you what we did and ate." I said, "Usually we would hunt deer or bear. Most of the time we did chores. We took water from lakes and chopped wood. Very rarely and only sometimes Indians came." "What were they like?" asked John curiously. I started again. Well at first I thought they were scary because they didn't even know English. But then my ma and pa told me they were friends. They brought corn, berries, and other things. Then I got used to them. I played with the Indian children and also the grown-ups were really nice. Then one day the Indians did not come. I was sad and worried. Then my pa came and said that the Indians had left to go to another tribe. I was sad but I got over it.

The animals outside were my friends. I played with them every day. Then one day pa was about to shoot a baby deer with his musket. I saw what he was about to do. I went to stop him. I told him not to shoot it because it was just a baby. Pa told me we needed to shoot it for food. I explained to him why he shouldn't shoot it. He finally understood. He shot a grown-up bear instead. I still thought that was sad. I finally said I was done with the story.

Laura interrupted and asked if I could finish the story. I sighed and said OK. " The next day was my birthday. My friends and relatives came. They gave me mostly money. Then I saw my grandma and grandpa. I went to them to say hi. They said sorry they didn't bring me a present. I replied they brought the best gift. Their love. They were so grateful. Soon the party was over. The next day I woke up early because I felt like it. I went to get my parents. I couldn't find them for some reason. I looked outside and couldn't belive what I was seeing! My ma and pa were lying down dead with a giant bear in front of them! I went outside as fast as I could, but I was too late. The bear was gone. My parents were dead. I started crying. This was all my fault. If only I had woken up earlier my parents would have still been alive.

I ran to my grandparent's house. I explained to them what had happened. They looked very sad. I told them it was all my fault. If only I had woken up earlier. My grandma said it was not my fault and my grandma and grandpa would raise me for a while. Years passed. "That's how I'm here," I said. "You must have been really sad" said John and Laura at the same time. "Well people have to go through these things" I said. So that's the end of my story. Like I said people have to go through these things.